Westbury United Reformed Church
The Congregational Church in Westbury was founded by the Reverend Philip Hunton, who on 24 August 1662 was the vicar of All Saints Parish Church. Because of his refusal to sign the Act of Uniformity he was ejected from that living and later walked up the road and became the first Pastor of the church. It is thought that the first Meeting House was built around 1693. This property was destroyed by fire on 18 July 1711. Legend has it that it was members of All Saints Parish Church who deliberately set fire to the Meeting House. Undaunted by such a catastrophe the members rallied together and within a month the foundation stone was laid for the second Meeting House. The cost was partly offset by the sale of land bequeathed by the Reverend Philip Hunton.
On 25 September 1751 the Reverend John Meylett was appointed Minister. He had decided views on the abolition of slavery. It is thought that some of the wealthy members of the church had interests in sugar plantations and did not appreciate the Ministerís views. This led to a break away and the formation of the Upper Meeting House. The two Congregational Churches were re-united on 8 May 1940. In 1972 the Congregational churches joined with the Presbyterian churches to become the United Reformed Church. The church building has been refurbished over the years and in 2000 the hall was enlarged. Regular users include Westbury Probus, Westbury Lions, and Westbury U3A
Revd. David Coppard
Tel. 01373 858805
(Pastoral Responsibility for:-Warminster United, Westbury Methodist, Westbury URC and Steeple Ashton.)
Address: Westbury United Reformed Church, Warminster Road Westbury BA13 3PJ .
Location: From Warminster road turn left into Hospital Road, then bear left along The Butts. There is an entrance just along the road on the left hand side which leads to the Church car park. As the church is on the A350 that post code does not help with parking the car which is at the rear of the church! The hall/parking post code is BA13 3EU, for the benefit of satnav users!
We meet for worship on Sunday morning at 1100am Our monthly coffee morning is held on the first Saturday of the month in the hall at 1030 and is well attended. The Friendship Circle meets twice a month and is open to all. We support Operation Christmas Child and send 40 shoe boxes each year. Members contribute items during the year. We collect non perishable food for the Warminster & District Food Bank encouraged by one of our members who is a trustee.
Elders: Mrs. Priscilla Gray, Mrs. Hilary Herring, Mr. Alan Ingram (Treasurer), Mrs. Maggie Skyrme, and Mrs. Fiona Halsall.
Contact; Mrs Priscilla Gray, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
|Church Secretary/Contact||Mrs. Priscilla Gray|
|Organist||Mrs. Jenny Clinch|
|Sunday school||Mr. Steven Clinch|
|Pilots||Mr. David Scott|
|Contact for bible readings||Miss Kathryn Cundick|
|Churches together||Mrs. Priscilla Gray|
|Organ Rota||Mr. Alan Ingram|
|Covenants||Mrs. Fiona Halsall|
|Friendship Circle||Miss Barbara Gerrish|
|Magazine committee||Mr. Alan Ingram|
|Magazine reporter||Mrs. Priscilla Gray|
|Magazine distribution||Miss Kathryn Cundick|
|Area reps||Mrs. Maggie Skyrme & Mrs. Priscilla Gray|
|Mission & Outreach||Mrs. Maggie Skyrme|
|Flower rota||Mrs. Hilary Herring|
|Hall bookings||Mrs. Christine Curtis|
|Treasurer & Property||Mr. A. Ingram|
|Synod Representative||Mrs. Priscilla Gray|
|Safeguarding Officer||Mrs. Hillary Herring|
|View of church from pulpit||View of organ and pulpit from gallery|
|Westbury PROBUS fortnightly meeting in church hall.||
Shoe boxes we packed for "Operation Christmas Child" (2016)
Our Christmas tree decorated with memory stars sold in aid of the Childrens Hospice South West".
Shoe boxes (2016)