Warminster United Church has its own web site www.unitedchurchwarminster.org.uk
Please select above link to visit that site.
Address: Warminster United Church, George Street, Warminster BA12 8QB
Tel. 01373 858805
(Pastoral Responsibility for:-Warminster United, Westbury Methodist, Westbury URC and Steeple Ashton.)
Location: The Church is in George Street which is the main street on the west side of town. There is some on street parking and some near Morrisons (free on Sundays) – turn left into Sambourne Road and then first left into the car park.
The United Church came into existence when the congregation of The Common Close United Reformed Church amalgamated with the George Street Methodist Church on Sunday 4th September 1983.
The origins of the Common Close Church goes back to the 16th Century and the church was subsequently built in 1719, rebuilt in 1798 and again in 1839-40. The church flourished as Presbyterian during the 19th century with a Sunday School of almost 300 scholars.
The Methodist travelling preachers came to Warminster in 1753 and preached at The Common and John Wesley came on 3rd October 1758 and a chapel was built on the current site at a cost of £441 : 4 : 4½d, but on 25th April 1861 the chapel was rebuilt to become the building still in use today. The foyer was added in 1976, the pews replaced with chairs and the schoolrooms modernised with a kitchen and toilet facilities installed.
Discussions to join with the United Reformed Church at Common Close were initiated in the 1960’s, but it was not until 1983 that these came to completion with the formation of The United Church (Methodist/URC) on Sunday 4th September. At that inaugural service the Rev. Roy Wareing minister at George Street, stated – “This September begins a new era in the life of the church in George Street, for we are no longer a Methodist Church, but a United Church – Methodist and United Reformed Church Christians worshipping and working as one.”
The union has proved to be happy, though it was a time of sacrifice for the URC members who left their place of worship, which was later demolished. As a United Church we have attempted to blend the practices and traditions of the two denominations.
Rev. Fred Gilson, minister at Common Close when it was a Congregational Church
in the 1940’s wrote:
‘No church can live upon the past, or exist solely upon its traditions….there is but one Gospel that can save.
It is that Gospel that we as The United Church continue to proclaim.'
|Minister with Pastoral Care||Revd. David Coppard|
|Contact||Mr. Marion Hornby|
|Treasurer||Mrs. Hilary Reynolds|
|Property||Mrs. Pauline Howell|
Times of Service 10.30 am and also at 6.00 pm as announced
The following groups meet on a regular basis:
The Friendship Club meets on the first Tuesday of each month.
The Evening Fellowship meets at 7.45 pm fortnightly.
There are two House Groups that meet as announced.
The Prayer Group meets every Friday at 3 pm.
A Sewing Group meets Mondays at 2.30pm