United Church, Trowbridge

The United Reformed  Church                        The  Methodist Church

http://unitedchurchtrowbridge.org.uk/     (Registered Charity Number 1156403)

The first Tabernacle Congregational Church was built in Church Street and formally opened on 20th November 1771. In 1785 the chapel was enlarged by the erection of a gallery for the accommodation of the Sunday School. In 1835 the whole chapel was rebuilt from the level of the pews and side galleries were erected. In 1842 Sunday School buildings were erected.

The original Tabernacle Church was now too small for the congregation, so it was decided to enlarge the church building. However, the foundations were found to be in a poor state and so it was decided to build a completely new church on the same site. The foundation stone was laid in 1882, with the church being opened with many celebrations in 1884.

In 1968 the congregation of the Manvers Street Methodist Church joined with the Congregational members in the Tabernacle Church, now renamed the United Church.

In 1972 the Congregational Union of England and Wales united with the Presbyterian Church in England and Wales to form the United Reformed Church, which means the United Church  is a local Wiltshire union of the Methodist Church and The United Reformed Church.

 

  Interim Ministerial support

Revd. Sue Henderson( e-mail  sueh@wiltsunitedchurches.org.uk )

Revd. Maree Farimond (e-mail  maree@wiltsunitedchurches.org.uk )

Address The United Church, Trowbridge,  The Office, Beaufort Mansions, 55-57 Stallard Street Trowbridge Wiltshire BA14 8HP

Telephone: 01225 752073       email: methurc@tiscali.co.uk  

 Services:-         Sundays  10.30 am            

       

The United Church, Trowbridge

After much prayerful consideration, the Church decided to vacate the buildings (originally Tabernacle Congregation Church). They had been a burden for many years and, although they had been well cared for, they always needed more to be spent. They were draining  resources of finance and people.

 

The Church is currently worshipping in the Park Club, a community building situated in Trowbridge Park, thus keeping the Church in the heart of the Town. Although a few people went to worship elsewhere, numbers have been maintained and the congregation has come closer both geographically and spiritually.

 

We feel a new joy caused in part by the burden of resource-draining buildings, but also a feeling of renewed hope for the future.

 

As well as the Park Club, the Church is also renting office accommodation space that also includes a meeting room for up to thirty people, a small kitchen and toilet facilities. This provides a welcoming space for groups to meet during the week as well as the office space for administrative work"

All are welcome t 

Directions to The Park Club in Trowbridge Park where worship now takes place for the congregation of United Church.

Very close to the Park Club there is parking, free on a Sunday, in St Stephen's Place car park, postcode BA14 8AH.

Access to the car park is from County Way A361. Follow the signs for the Leisure Complex and the multi storey car park is on the left. 

Walk from the car park past the children’s play area and the war memorial which are to your right. The Park Club is a single storey brick building on your left.  

Ministers with pastoral care.

Rev Sue Henderson & Rev Maree Farrimond 

Church Secretary

Mr  Clive Jackson

Church Treasurer

Mrs Lesley Chapman

Property

Mr Clive Jackson / Mrs Alison Hicks

Worship Leader Organiser

Mrs Alison Hicks

Organist 

David Davis

Cradle Roll Secretary

Mrs Gillian Blakeley

Administrative Secretary

Mrs Jean Bailey

Outreach Committee Chair

Mrs  Sheila Lerwill

Pastoral Leader

Mrs Marguerite Denning

Flowers Organiser

Mrs Rina Jefferies

Freewill Offering Secretary

Mrs Alison Hicks

Creche Organiser

Mrs Gillian Blakeley

Junior Church Leader

Mr Clive Jackson

Women's Hour Chair

Mrs Jean Bailey, Mrs Marguerite Denning

Busy Bees Organisers

Mrs Marguerite Denning Mrs Jean Bailey

Fund Raising Committee Chair

Vacant

Christian Aid Organiser

Mrs Alison Hicks

Action for Children Representative

Mr Harold Blakeley

Bible Society Representative

Audrey and David Sheppard

Magazine Editor

Mrs Marguerite Denning, 

Catering Coordinator

Mrs Marguerite Denning

Area Meeting Representative Mr Clive Jackson and Mrs Lesley Chapman